Recipes

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stracotto

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I have this recipe in my computer and I don't recall ever making this dish. I must have made this at some point if I saved it in my computer and made sure I had a backup copy. I had quite a few too many a dinner party while living at Emory and this must be one of the dishes I served up to my friends. Despite going blank on where this recipe came from, I'm going to give this one a try and I'll leave it uncredited.  Looking at other stracotto recipes online, I decided to update the recipe I have on hand so now, it is a synthesis of several recipes and I should be under no obligation to give credit to anyone else. 

Stracotto is really nothing more than pot roast but cooked Italian style. The herbs used, rosemary and thyme, are very Italian and the simple flavors really play up the authenticity of this Italian dishes in terms of simplicity and taste. Dried Porcini mushrooms give this dish an intense earthy flavor which I think works really well. The dish can be served with plain pasta or polenta but I thought, a good hearty risotto is the perfect partner to this simple dish. 

*Stracotto - unknown

1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1/2-ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour

1. Reconstitute the Porcini mushrooms in one cup hot water. Set aside. 

2. Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the beef generously with salt 
    and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy 6-quart roasting pan 
    over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides, 
    about 15 minutes total cooking time. Transfer the beef to a bowl. 

3. Lower the heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon oil to the pan. 
    Add the onions and saute until tender, scraping up the brown bits on the 
    bottom of the pot, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute 
    more. Deglaze with the wine for one minute. 

4. Add the broth, the dried herbs and mushrooms (with the reconstituted 
    liquid) and return the beef to the pan. Bring the liquids to a boil. Cover 
    and simmer over low heat and braise until the beef is fork-tender, 
    turning the beef over halfway through cooking, about 3 hours.

3. Transfer the beef to a cutting board. Tent the beef with foil and let 
    stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, spoon any excess fat off the top of the pan 
    juices. Transfer the pan juices and vegetables to a blender and puree until 
    smooth. Make sure you cool the sauce for about 10 minutes before 
    blitzing it. Combine the sauce with the butter and flour in a heavy 
    medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt 
    and pepper.

4. Cut the beef across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the sliced 
    beef on a platter and spoon the sauce over and serve, passing the 
    remaining sauce in a sauce boat

No comments:

Post a Comment