|Copyright 2014 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Anyway, this is a very simple curry dish but make sure that you have the best powdered spice for this dish to actually work. The result was a creamy dish although the sauce is still a bit loose and not too thick. The basil leaves are the perfect aromatic foil to this otherwise rich dish and gives it some sense of balance in terms of flavor and aroma. The recipe is an adaptation from the blog, Simply Recipes.
Chicken Curry with Basil Leaves - Adapted*
2 lbs chicken, cut into smaller pieces
1 onion, diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp ginger, peeled and sliced
1 finger chili
2 tbsp margarine + 2 tbsp coconut oil
2 cups fresh coconut cream
20 basil leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp celery powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. In a deep pan, heat the margarine with the oil over medium high heat.
Saute the garlic, ginger, and onions until softened. Season with salt and
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook until browned. Season with salt and
3. Add the coconut cream and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat
to medium low and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Add the curry mix and the finger chili. Simmer covered for another 15 to
20 minutes or until the chicken pieces are thoroughly cooked. Add a
small amount of hot water if it starts to thicken a bit too quickly.
5. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Mix in the basil leaves and
stir until just wilted. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
*Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce, Simply Recipes blog.