|Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Ginger Chicken - Adapted*
2 lbs chicken breast, quartered
7 oz yogurt
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp grated garlic
2 tbsp coriander seeds, ground
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder**
4 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup broth
cilantro to garnish
1. In a small bowl, combine the cream with the yogurt. Add the freshly grated
ginger and garlic, together with the powdered cumin, chili and coriander.
Mix well and set aside.
2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Brown in a large pan
preheated over medium high heat in the vegetable oil.
3. Once the chicken pieces are browned, lower the heat to low and add the
broth with the yogurt mix.
4. Allow the curry to simmer until the chicken pieces have cooked and the oil
starts to separate from the creamy base. This will take about 15-20
5. Check for flavor and adjust accordingly. Garnish with fresh cilantro and
serve with steamed basmati rice.
*Vijayakar, Sunil: 30 Minute Indian, Laurel Glen Publishing, California: 2000.
** If you are accustomed to heat, use the Chinese or Korean brand of chili powder. However, since I'm serving this to kids as well, I used the American chili powder mix which gives off a wonderful aroma and color with just a mild hint of heat.