|Copyright 2014 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
I first took a sip of this refreshing drink in a Vietnamese restaurant in Iloilo. The place is called Cilantro and they serve this wonderful beverage all year round. Actually, I wouldn't mind drinking it all year long. It is that good. For the lemonade lovers out there, this might prove to be a welcome twist to your regular drink of choice. After all, this drink is nothing more than lemonade mixed with cucumber juice. The trick is to get the proportions right. A blender is not a must but is most convenient. However, I'm going to write the recipe expecting you to have your own blender.
6 - 8 ripe lemons, halved
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cups water
4-6 cucumbers, peeled
1. In a small pot, melt the sugar in the water over low heat without stirring.
Once melted, let cool and set aside.
2. Juice the lemons and measure about a cup of fresh lemon juice. Mix with
the sugar syrup.
3. Peel the cucumbers and dice into half-inch cubes. Blitz with 1 cup of
water in the blender until smooth. Pour the cucumber over a fine sieve
and collect the juice. You should have about 2-3 cups of cucumber juice.
4. To serve, combine half of the lemon/sugar mixture with half of the
cucumber juice. Add enough ice and check for sweetness. You can serve
it a bit sweeter or if you prefer, add more ice to taste.
5. To serve, pour into tall glasses and garnish with a slice of cucumber if
desired. I prefer to serve it simply.