Recipes

Monday, August 25, 2014

Fried Fillet of Cream Dory

Copyright 2014 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I purchased a pack of frozen cream dory a few weeks ago and I was trying to figure out what was the best way to cook them. I tried baking them before but it came out a bit soggy so that was out of the question. I didn't want it to be cooked in a stew but I did know that I wanted something fried. Thus, I decided to make fried fish with a crunchy crust that will be perfect for eating as a main dish or as a snack in the form of a fried patty in a sandwich. 

One of my favorite restaurant items is Fish and Chips and although I'm not craving the chips part, I am craving the fish part. Thus, I decided to use my recipe for fried chicken but changed the herbs for the breading mix to perfectly match this delicate and flaky fish. I also made a parsley bagna cauda to complement the dish and it was just what was needed to elevate this dish from being simply fried to mouth watering.   

Fried Fillet of Cream Dory

1 lb frozen cream dory, thawed
1 cup panko
1 cup flour
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
oil for frying
2 eggs

1. in a small bowl, beat the eggs with 2 tbsp water. Set aside. 

2. In a small shallow bowl, combine the panko, Herbes de Provence, paprika, 
    tarragon, and Cayenne. Season with salt and pepper. 

3. In another shallow bowl, sift the flour to remove the lumps. 

4. Cut the fillet into 3-inch portions. Season with salt and pepper and dredge 
    with the flour. Tap off excess flour.

5. Dip into the egg wash and carefully dredge into the panko mixture. 

6. Fry in a pre-warmed oil until golden brown. Do the same for the rest of 
    the cream dory fillet. 

7. Serve warm with the bagna cauda. 

Bagna Cauda

3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fish sauce
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp parsley
lemon zests
salt and pepper

1. Melt the butter over low heat. Once melted, allow to cool for about 3 
    minutes. 

2. Combine the melted butter with the rest of the ingredients except for 
    salt and pepper into a blender. Blitz until a creamy texture is obtained. 

3. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly with salt and pepper. Keep 
    warm.    

No comments:

Post a Comment