Recipes

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Potatoes au Gratin

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Side dishes I believe are equally important as the main dish and I always try to find the right dish to complement what I plan to serve for dinner. A favorite of mine is rice pilaf but in some cases, a potato dish is the more appropriate accompaniment. Using a very basic recipe of potato gratin, I've tweaked it to suit my tastes and my needs. 

Potatoes au Gratin

3 cups thinly sliced potatoes
6 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp all purpose flour
11/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sharp cheese (I prefer Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano)
¾ cup soft bread crumbs
1 tsp chopped herbs (parsley, thyme or herbes de provence)

1. Melt 3 tbsp butter and blend in the flour. Add the milk gradually and
    cook, stirring, until smooth.

2. Add the potatoes and cook until the milk mixture has thickened.

3. Add half of the cheese and stir until melted and pour the potatoes  
    into a 9x13 baking dish. Melt remaining butter and mix with the  
    crumbs. Sprinkle over contents of baking dish and cover with
    aluminum foil.

4. Bake at 375°F for about 45-60 minutes. Check to make sure that the
    potatoes are tender. Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining
    cheese and herbs and bake until the top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment