Recipes

Friday, June 15, 2012

Double Dipped Fried Chicken

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I have always wanted to make this dish ever since I came home about a month ago. My nephew who cooks for the family loves to make this dish although his choice of breading really baffles me as it seems to resemble the consistency of mud although it cooks and tastes okay. When my aunt came to visit a few weeks ago, it was then that I decided that I better try my hand at making a much improved version of fried chicken. It has been some time since I've made this since I hate frying anything opting for a baked version if possible. However, fried chicken needs to be fried so I had to do it. 

My inspiration came from Michael Chiarello's version which is marinated in buttermilk and is also doubly dipped. Since buttermilk is hard to come by here, I'm using a combination of full cream milk and a squirt of lemon juice. I'm just glad that the grocery stores here carry most of the dried herbs I often use. This actually baffled my 6 year old nephew who bugged me the whole time I was making this dish as he kept asking me why I insist on adding leaves to the chicken and why my chicken comes out smelling better. I then had to explain that the leaves add both flavor and aroma to the chicken. I guess I had him convinced since he stayed over for lunch with us that day. The picture does not do justice to the dish since our kitchen is so badly lit I could hardly get a decent shot of anything but the taste of the chicken is really wonderfully aromatic and tasty.

Double Dipped Fried Chicken

2 lbs chicken, cut up into small pieces
1 cup full cream milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
salt and pepper
2 cup flour
2 cup coarse bread crumbs
1 egg + 2 tbsp of water
vegetable oil for frying

1. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Combine the milk and the 
    lemon juice and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Pour into the chicken and 
    marinate for 1-2 hours. 

2. Season the flour with half a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper. Set 
    aside. 

3. Season the bread crumbs with the herbs and a teaspoon of salt and a pinch
    of pepper. Set aside. 

4. Beat the egg with the water and set aside. 

5. To prepare the chicken, dip one piece of marinated chicken into the flour 
    mixture and tap the excess. Dip into the egg wash and dredge with the 
    bread crumb mixture. Tap the excess and set aside on a lined tray. Do the
    same for the remaining chicken pieces. 

6. To fry, heat the oil at medium heat in a deep frying pan. Add the chicken 
    a few pieces at a time to avoid overcrowding the pan. Fry until golden 
    brown and the juices run clear when pierced. 

7. Drain the fried pieces on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Serve hot.    

No comments:

Post a Comment