Recipes

Friday, June 15, 2012

Oatmeal Bars with Raisin Topping

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I decided to try this baked bar as a treat for our secretary in the department. She has slaved by running around making sure my papers are in order and she was also trying to supply me with things I may need at work so I figured a baked treat was in order. Since my books are still on their way, I decided to peruse my way through my new cookbook and this is what I found. Looking at the ingredients, it looked like something I could do here in my hometown and with a minimal amount of baking, I'm sure my temperamental oven can cope. The bar came out a bit too sweet for me but if you have a sweet tooth, then this is for you. 

Oatmeal Bars with Raisin Topping - Adapted*

1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup oatmeal, quick cooking
1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda

Topping:
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
2 tbsp brandy
2 tsp vanilla

1.  Pour the boiling water over the margarine and oatmeal in a small bowl. 
     Mix well and let it cool for about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F and 
     line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, white 
    sugar, cinnamon and the salt. Add the cooled oatmeal mixture and mix 
    well with a wooden spoon. 

3. Add the eggs and combine until incorporated. Transfer the batter to the 
    prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool.

4. To prepare the topping, mix the topping ingredients except for the 
    confectioner's sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil in a small pan over 
    medium low heat. Cook for about 3 minutes. Let cool. 

5. Add the confectioner's sugar and the vanilla to the cooked topping mixture 
    and mix well. Spread on top of the cooled cake and smoothen with a 
    spatula. 

6. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature. 

*The Madison County Cookbook, Carol Publishing Group, Winterset, Iowa:1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment