|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Oatmeal Bars with Raisin Topping - Adapted*
1 1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup oatmeal, quick cooking
1 stick margarine (1/2 cup)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
2 tbsp brandy
2 tsp vanilla
1. Pour the boiling water over the margarine and oatmeal in a small bowl.
Mix well and let it cool for about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F and
line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, white
sugar, cinnamon and the salt. Add the cooled oatmeal mixture and mix
well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the eggs and combine until incorporated. Transfer the batter to the
prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool.
4. To prepare the topping, mix the topping ingredients except for the
confectioner's sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil in a small pan over
medium low heat. Cook for about 3 minutes. Let cool.
5. Add the confectioner's sugar and the vanilla to the cooked topping mixture
and mix well. Spread on top of the cooled cake and smoothen with a
6. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
*The Madison County Cookbook, Carol Publishing Group, Winterset, Iowa:1995.