|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Arroz ala Cubana
2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 dried bay leaves
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup raisins
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbsp ground annatto seeds (or smoked paprika)
5 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper
2-3 tbsp chopped parsley
3-4 Saba or 2 large ripe plantains
1. In a small pan, heat 3 tbsp oil over low heat and add the annatto seeds.
Heat until the oil turns orange red. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat. Add
the garlic and onions and season with salt and pepper and saute until
softened. Add the bay leaves and cook until aromatic.
3. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned.
Add the annatto oil and mix well.
4. Add the potatoes and carrots and the beef broth. Bring to a boil and cover
until the vegetables are tender but firm. Lower the heat to medium.
5. Add the tomato paste and raisins and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add
the peas and cook until bright green. Check for flavor and adjust
accordingly. Garnish with the copped parsley.
6. Serve the dish with steamed rice and fried bananas and eggs.