Recipes

Friday, June 27, 2014

Pan-seared Tuna

Copyright 2014 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
What I'm presenting is a real treat. I'm one of those people who love sashimi which is basically raw fish dipped in soy sauce with a bit of wasabi. Nothing is more simple and yet nourishing than this exquisite Japanese dish.The inspiration to prepare this dish came to me when I went to the market one morning and they laid out freshly cut tuna. My mind suddenly thought of sashimi and tuna rolls but try as I might, there is a shortage of Japanese rice at the moment in my hometown. So with a heavy heart, I had no choice but to freeze the most wonderful and freshly cut slabs of tuna meat until I can get hold of the things I will need to prepare an authentic Japanese meal.

Two weeks have passed and there is still no Japanese rice to be bought in the market and grocery stores so I have decided to cook the tuna a bit differently. I'm glad I sliced the tuna slab into large portions that I can actually prepare it pan-seared with the middle part still gloriously reddish pink. The question is, how do I season it? Well, after some research, I came up with the prefect marinade and coating to prepare my lovely tuna. 

Pan-seared Tuna

6-8 oz sushi grade tuna steaks (at least 1-inch thick)
3 tbsp dark sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, grated
dash or two of black pepper
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 stalks spring onions, chopped finely
1/3 cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp olive oil

1. To marinade the steaks, combine in a shallow bowl the sesame oil, soy
    sauce, ginger, garlic, spring onions, lemon juice and season with the 
    black pepper. 

2. Arrange the tune steaks so that they are laid flat in the bowl and marinate
    for about 30 minutes turning them halfway. 

3. When ready to sear, heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium 
    heat. Dredge the tuna steaks with the sesame seeds on the top and the 
    bottom. 

4. Sear the tuna steaks for about 1 1/2 minute on each side. Remove from 
    the pan and let cool for a minute. Slice into the desired thickness and 
    serve with a side of soy sauce and wasabi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment