Recipes

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Carrot Cake

Copyright 2011 LtDan'skitchen Blogs
I'm a late bloomer in terms of appreciating carrot cake. The first time I heard of this cake, I was weirded out by the thought of a carrot being used in a cake, let alone, be the star. I've seen the cake, looked at it and even if it looked good, I never really ordered or even tried it. I was very loyal to my two favorite cakes, the Black Forest cake and the Blueberry Cheesecake. It was a cooking magazine that actually inspired me along with the prodding of my good friend Mara (who also happens to be an excellent baker), to finally try it out. The recipe I used was obtained from a special edition of the culinary publication, Food Magazine that featured a compilation of select recipes that were a favorite of the subscribers. It was then that I grew to love this cake.

Copyright 2011 LtDan'skitchen Blogs
I bought my own copy of the magazine special but made the mistake of giving it away to another friend. I did not regret the gifting part, I regretted not buying an extra copy for myself. That was stupid on my part. I did ask my friend whom I gave the magazine to, to type up the recipe for me and I have kept it on file for years now.  I've made some minor adjustments to the original recipe but as it is, it is very good. The original recipe is actually available online but I'll retype it to include the changes I made. The last time I baked this cake, it was as a birthday gift so I fancied it up with white chocolate ribbons. It is not imperative to garnish the cake as I did unless you are feeling adventurous. 

*Custer’s Carrot Cake - Adapted

2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
3 cups shredded carrots
½ cup applesauce or crushed pineapple
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two nine-inch cake pans and line with  
    waxed paper. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda,
    cinnamon and salt. Blend in vegetable oil and the applesauce. Beat in
    eggs, one at a time, then mix in carrots and vanilla (paddle     attachment on your electric mixer.)
2. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cake
    tester inserted in center comes out clean.
3. Let cool then frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese frosting
 
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ c (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 pound (454 g) confectioner’s sugar, sifted (I use the least amount of sugar so if your frosting holds it's shape, don't add the whole amount. I go cup by cup up to 3 cups.
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp rum
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
zest of lemon (optional)
 
1. In a medium bowl of an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese
    and butter. Gradually add the confectioner sugar and vanilla, mixing
    well until smooth and of spreading consistency. Add the rum and the     lemon zest if using and mix well
2. Sandwich the  two layers with about a fourth of the frosting. Frost
    the cake with the remaining frosting. If desired, sprinkle walnuts on
    sides of cake. Store any extra frosting in the refrigerator.
 
*Delores Custer is a food stylist and is the author of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment