|Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
The recipe is from Sophia Loren's cookbook and is something I'm glad I tried. One thing you will need though is a vegetable slicer that allows you to make paper thin slices. Zucchini is a major part of the dish but in paper thin thickness, they blend quite well into the dish without overpowering it in terms of flavor or texture.
*Risotto con Piselli - Adapted
3 oz bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried tsp basil
1 lb fresh or canned diced tomatoes
2 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
Salt and pepper
2-4 cups chicken broth
Parmegiano Reggiano, grated
1. Brown the bacon in a deep sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion
and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and stir until it slightly thickens. Add the zucchini and
cook down until the liquid has almost evaporated.
3. Add the rice and cook according to risotto basics, gradually ladling in the
broth until the rice is tender.
4. Add the herbs and the frozen peas at the last addition of the broth. check
for flavor and season with salt and pepper.
5. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with olive oil prior to serving.
*Loren, Sophia. Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories. GT Publishing Corp. New York:1998