|Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
I have made this dish numerous times because it is very easy to make and very delicious, not to mention healthy. The only concern is that you need big red, yellow, orange and green bell peppers and they can be quite expensive. Even when I was still living in the US, I go to Costco or Sam's club to purchase the peppers in bulk just to stay on budget. Luckily, I was able to find a grocery store here that carried these big peppers for about $4 for the 6 peppers that I needed. I have to admit that this is actually quite good in terms of price. If the peppers are in season though, I suggest you make a ton of these and bottle them stored in good olive oil and whip them out whenever you have unexpected guests.
Sophia Loren's Roasted Peppers - Adapted*
6 large bell peppers (yellow, red and green)
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tbsp Parmigiano Regianno, grated
1. Roast the peppers in charcoal or over direct flame until the skin have
blackened. Transfer the peppers into a bowl and cover with clingwrap.
Allow to steam and cool for about 20 minutes.
2. Once cooled, peel off the charred skin and deseed the peppers. Slice into
3. In a pan over medium low heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and saute
until just softened. Add the peppers and season with salt. Cover and adjust
the heat to low. Simmer for about 5 minutes making sure to move the
peppers around to avoid them from sticking in the pan. Add more oil if
4. Sprinkle the cheese over the peppers and mix. Simmer covered for another
5. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and simmer covered for another 5 minutes.
Slide onto a serving plate making sure the crusty top is kept intact. Drizzle
with more olive oil if desired.
*Loren, S., Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories, GT Publishing, New York: 1998.