Recipes

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Black Risotto with Squid


Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I wanted to make this dish the minute I saw it on Nigella Lawson's show the other day. I was actually surprised to realize that I have the Cooking Channel on my local television cable network together with the Lifestyle Network. It was like Christmas in May. Anyway, this was something she cooked in her show along with a crunchy chocolate bar but I'm not going for a dessert recipe at the moment so I'm sticking with the Black Risotto. I simplified my own version since I did not want to use fish stock but I also forgot to pick up a vegetable broth for the dish. I basically used a variety of dried herbs which I think might work and it came out quite good. Overall, it is a bit of work (as always) for a simple dish while the flavor is just okay. I think this is not a dish for everyone although I did splurge on one thing: Black truffle oil. I used the truffle oil to saute my rice (gasp!) and the squid topping as well. I could just feel a number of unknown people cringing at what I did. Sorry, but I had one bottle lying around that needed to be used up so there. Anyway, I liked the dish enough but I think I prefer cooking my squid by itself swimming in its own ink and eating it with steamed rice on the side.  

Black Risotto with Squid

Broth:
8 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
salt and pepper
Heads of 2 lbs of squid with the inc sac, beak removed

To prepare the broth, add the dried herbs to the water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Once boiling, add the squid head with the inc sac and lower the heat to a simmer.

Risotto:
2 cups short-grained rice
1 onion, diced
4 tbsp truffle oil
2 tbsp parsley, chopped

Squid topping:
2 lbs squid mantle, pens removed and cut into rings
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
2 tbsp garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp truffle oil
salt and pepper

1. In a deep pan, heat the truffle oil over medium high heat and add the 
    onions. Saute until softened. Add the rice and cook until the rice is coated 
    with the oil.

2. Slowly add the broth a cup at a time waiting for the broth to be fully 
    absorbed before adding more broth. Continue to cook until the rice is 
    al dente. 

3. When the rice is almost ready, cook the squid topping. Heat the truffle oil 
    in a small pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and red chili flakes 
    and cook for about a minute. Add the squid and cook quickly until the 
    squid has turned opaque. Season with salt and pepper and remove from 
    heat. Set aside. 

4. When the rice is ready, spoon a good amount into a plate and top with the
    sauteed squid rings. Garnish with the chopped parsley and a good drizzle 
    of extra virgin olive oil.  

No comments:

Post a Comment