Recipes

Monday, May 20, 2013

Fishcakes

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I had to cook something for the white fish I bought which was sold to me as a Jack O Trevally but as it turned out, was actually a Red Snapper. It came in cheap for just about $6 for 4 pounds of fish so I bought it. I made a sour soup with a third of the fish but I always get this not so pleasant fishy smell whenever I cook a snapper and I never really understood how they are so well loved by a lot of people I know. I tried frying the second third and it was a disaster even my dog would not eat it. My fault in part for not heating the oil to the proper temperature. But for my dog not to eat my cooking, that stung a bit. Thus, I had the last third to contend with and I eventually decided to try the fishcake recipe from my new Danish book. At this point, my expectation level is fairly low so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the dish was actually quite good in its simplicity. I added some Herbes de Provence hoping to mask the fishy smell but there was no hint of it actually which was a welcome surprise indeed. 

Fishcakes - Adapted*

1 lb meat of white fish, deboned and diced
4 tbsp flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
dash of black pepper
1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
1/4 cup milk
oil for frying

1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. 

2. Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Take two tablespoons of
    the patty and fry in the pan. 

3. Fry for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown and flip. Cook for another 2 
    minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite condiment. 

*Forlag, N.N.; Busck, A., Dining with the Danes, Denmark:2011.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment