Recipes

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ham Hocks Ragout

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This is one of the Danish recipes that I wanted to try out from the new book my Danish friend sent me for my birthday. This is actually my third recipe from the book and while the first one is already posted, the second one unfortunately was not completed since I deleted the pictures I took of the dish even before I could post it. It will have to wait for a bit. This third one actually is a modified version of the original dish since I'm using ham hocks and not oxtail. The local butcher shop will not sell just the ox tail but it has to come paired with the beef hocks. I know they are available in specialty meat shops in the city but I don't have the time nor the courage to go around town looking for oxtail in the middle of summer. I'm already suffering from heat rashes in the comfort of my house more so if I went walking under the scorching heat of the sun. It was my Dad who finally made me decide to use ham hocks instead of oxtail since he wanted a dish with pork legs despite the fact that he is not supposed to be eating pork. I'm enabling him but I'm sure he'll blame me for any discomfort he will experience later today after eating this dish. I think this substitution will work since both cuts of meat are fairly similar. If you do have access to oxtail, just make sure that you cook it long enough so that it falls off the bone by the time you are done cooking.Very very yummy!

Ham Hocks Ragout - Adapted*

2-3 lbs ham hocks
1/4 cup flour
2 large onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
4 carrots, peeled and quartered
2 tsp Spanish paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp celery powder
6 tbsp tomato paste
12 cups beef broth
1/3 cup unsalted butter
salt and pepper
2 tbsp parsley, chopped

1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Dredge the hocks with 
    the flour and fry until browned on both sides. Set aside. 

2. In the same pot, increase the heat to medium high and saute the garlic 
    and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Once softened, add the paprika, 
    bay leaves, celery powder and thyme. Saute for another minute. 

3. Return the browned pork pieces and pour in the broth. Bring to a boil and 
    cover. Lower the heat and simmer for an hour. 

4. Add the carrots and cook for another 30 minutes uncovered. Stir in the 
    tomato paste and increase the heat to medium high. Continue to cook 
    until the sauce has thickened and the meat is very tender. 

5. Check for seasoning and add the parsley. Serve with steamed rice or 
    mashed potatoes. 

*Forlag, N.N.; Busck, A., Dining with the Danes, Denmark:2011. 

No comments:

Post a Comment