|Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
This roast chicken is very simple in that I want it again to be the most basic it can be without sacrificing the flavor. I think I managed to achieve that and with the gravy that went with it, it was one delicious and simple dish that any novice can pull off. Just try and make sure that you have a meat thermometer to ensure that the bird is cooked properly.
Roast Chicken - Filipino Style.
2 lb young chicken
2 small carrots, quartered
2 celery stalk
1 small bundle of lemongrass
2 tbsp butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and pepper
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to about 375°F. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan by lining with
foil and arranging the carrots, celery and garlic cloves for the chicken to
rest on. Set aside.
2. Season the cavity of the bird with salt and pepper and stuff with the butter
and the lemongrass. Secure the legs of the bird and season with more salt
3. Arrange the bird on top of the vegetables and drizzle it with the oil. Bake
in the oven for about 2 hours or until the skin has turned a golden brown
and the meat thermometer registers 180°F.
4. Let the bird rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the carrots and
the garlic cloves.
5. To make the gravy, collect the drippings in a small potand over medium
heat, thicken with about 2 tbsp of flour. Once it starts to thicken, add a
tablespoon of butter and continue to cook until the butter has melted.
Check for seasoning and correct accordingly. If too salty, thin out with a
little bit of water.