Recipes

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Maja Blanca (Back to Basics)

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This took about 25 years in the making. My vivid memory of this very humble dessert dates way back in the early 80s when my friend Norlyn made it for one of our parties. It is one of those times when as a bunch of high school kids, we would stay overnight at a friend's house and eat and drink punch and well, stay late. Nope, I'm not divulging any secrets. 

Anyway, her maja blanca was so simple but I could not stop eating it. We were eating so much food during this annual party and this was my choice of food to gorge on. I saw her prepare this dish and I think I commented that she is definitely ready to get married since she is one awesome cook. I was 13 then so I have no idea why I said that. Totally inappropriate definitely. 

Now, enough with the background story. The dish if you google it will show you several versions claiming that theirs is the best maja blanca. I've tried a few of them and they were either too sweet or just plain too fussy. I was looking for my simple and very basic but might I add very tasty maja blanca. 

It was only today that I took another stab at this dessert since my attempt last week resulted to a pudding-like dessert so that went down the drain. With a little help from a friend's recipe which frankly scared me a bit with the 1 kilogram sugar ingredient, I forged on ahead with it. Little did I know that my cousin's actually know how to make it the old school way. After combining both recipes, I finally had my dream maja blanca come to life right before my very eyes. Definitely a very good balm for a bruised heart.

Maja Blanca

3 cups corn starch
12 cups fresh coconut milk
1/2 fresh milk
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1. In a big pot, stir the corn starch with the coconut milk, fresh milk and 
    sugar. 

2. Turn on the heat to medium and keep stirring until the mixture thickens. 
    Check for taste and make sure the corn starch is cooked. 

3. Once it starts to thicken, lower the heat and continue stirring until very 
    thick. Add in the vanilla and stir to mix. 

4. Pour the thick mixture into a mold and allow to cool. Store in the fridge 
    before serving. Best served cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment