Recipes

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Danish Braised Chicken

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
It is a rare occasion when you are presented with a dish that requires only four ingredients and have it come out so finger-licking fantastically good. Such is the case with this braised chicken dish. Adapted from the cookbook gifted by my Danish friend, I was really skeptical at first but was totally convinced by the time I was done eating. I also served it to my two friends and short of devouring a whole chicken between the three of us, what was left was half a chicken breast which was packed to go by one of my friends and the neck part which I ate for lunch the next day. 

The dish was originally served with a cucumber salad but I'm not a big fan of pickled cucumbers so I paired it with a vegetable salad. However, I realized that boiled baby potatoes seasoned with olive oil and the usual salt and pepper was the best side dish since you get to eat them with the thick creamy gravy that is nothing really but melted butter and cooked cream. Need I say more? This is one awesome dish. Word of warning though: not for those with cholesterol problems. I'm not kidding. Stay away from this dish!

Danish Braised Chicken - Adapted*

1 2-3 lbs whole chicken, trimmed
1/2 cup butter, unsalted
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley 

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on the outside and in the cavity. 
    Stuff with the parsley leaves and half the butter. Secure the legs with a 
    butcher's twine and set aside. 

2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium low heat. Once melted, 
    increase the heat to medium high and brown the whole chicken on all 
    sides. 

3. Add half the cream and decrease the heat to low and simmer the chicken 
    covered for about an hour or until the juices run clear when you pierce 
    the thigh. Turn the chicken occasionally during this time.

4. To complete the dish, add the remaining cream and simmer for another 
    10 minutes. 

5. To serve, cut the chicken into large pieces and drizzle the sauce over it. 
    Best served with boiled baby potatoes. 

* Forlag, N.N.; Busk, A., Dining With The Danes, Clemenstrykkeriet, Copenhagen: 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment