Recipes

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fettuccini with Sweet Red Peppers

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Another healthy dish for the week is a product of my obsessive compulsive need to use an ingredient in my cupboard that stands like a sore thumb just because I bought it by mistake and have no use for it. The culprit, canned pimientos. I've searched for recipes that uses canned pimientos (sweet peppers) and what came up were recipes on how to can peppers. Well, that was not what I was looking for. Eventually, I tried searching for recipes that uses sweet red peppers in a pasta dish and a few good hits finally came through the web. 

One recipe that caught my attention was from Ree Drummond also known in television as the Pioneer Woman. I have seen her show a couple of times but I never really took to her recipes until now. Even so, my version is really rustic due to the fact that I have no blender in my kitchen (Hey, Santa! I'm being awfully good so a blender will come in handy for Christmas!). Come to think of it, maybe I should call myself the Mountain Man! Oh, and when I say rustic, I mean RUSTIC. Ree's version is short of nothing but decadent.

Anyway, this version is almost like a Spaghetti al Pomodoro Crudo except that I used half sweet pimientos and half ripe tomatoes. The dressing is definitely simple and very sparse but it really has a good balance in terms of flavor. I envisioned adding heavy cream to it but after tasting the dish sans cream, it was already delicious I dare not spoil it. This time, simple is definitely better. 

Fettuccini with Sweet Red Peppers

1/2 lb dried fettuccini
1 cup diced sweet pimientos
3 tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Basil leaves
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Cook the pasta as per packet directions. While the pasta is cooking, 
    prepare the sauce. 

2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil 
    and saute the garlic and onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook 
    until softened. 

3. Add the sweet peppers and cook until heated through. Add the broth and 
    bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. 

4. When the pasta is almost ready, add the tomatoes into the simmering 
    peppers. Toss the pasta into the skillet and coat with the sauce. Loosen 
    with some cooking water if a bit dry. 

5. Turn off the heat and sprinkle the cheese into the pasta. Serve with torn 
    basil leaves and a drizzling of olive oil.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment