Recipes

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Updated Waldorf Salad

Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Uric acid is my new nemesis. It has always been a family nemesis and now, it is my turn to fight the battle to defeat this villainous purine derivative. However, I am prepared to meet this foe head on with recipes that are not only delicious but are also good for the body. Thus, this recipe of an updated Waldorf salad as taken from a list of recipes designed to combat high uric acid levels in the body.

My initial plan was to actually combine two recipes to create a salad dish that will rival two of the most classic salad recipes: the Waldorf and the Cobb salads. However, upon further deliberation, I decided to recreate individual versions of both dishes starting with the Waldorf salad. Created at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City, it is a simple salad that over the years have changed very little but remains a favorite among many. Given the fact that I'm too far away from a decent grocery store, I'm creating my version of the famous salad with a bit of a twist on some of the ingredients. One big change is the omission of walnuts in my recipe. I've looked on the internet and there are conflicting reports regarding walnuts and how it affects people with gout so I left it out. I'm also not a big fan of celery so out it goes and in with diced cucumbers. I'm hoping the purists will take it easy on me. 

Updated Waldorf Salad

1 Gala apple, cored and diced
1 small pear, cored and diced
2 cups greens (Romaine, iceberg or any type of lettuce you prefer)
1/8 cup raisins
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced roasted chicken (optional)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 tbsp lemon vinaigrette (or red wine vinaigrette)
1/4 cup walnuts, optional
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Prepare the dressing by mixing the mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of the 
    lemon vinaigrette until the vinaigrette is incorporated.

2. Toss the apples, pears, cucumber, raisins, and the roasted chicken if using 
    into the mayonnaise dressing. Season with half the grated cheese. 

3. In a large bowl, arrange the greens and drizzle the remaining vinaigrette. 
    Top with the salad mixture above and sprinkle with the remaining cheese 
    and walnuts if using. Serve immediately. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment