|Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Chicken Ragout - Adapted*
3 lbs chicken pieces
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large zucchini, diced to 1-inch cube
2 medium carrots, diced to 1-inch cube
1 28-oz canned whole tomatoes
2 cups broth
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Heat the oil in a large deep pan over medium high heat. Add the onions
and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 2 minutes or
2. Add the chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Allow to brown
slightly on all sides. Sprinkle with the dried herbs.
3. Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add to the chicken along with
the liquid in the can. Add the broth as well and bring to a boil. Once
boiling, lower the heat to low and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Add the carrots and zucchini and cook uncovered until the vegetables are
soft but not mushy and the sauce has thickened.
5. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve garnished with basil or
*Good Housekeeping Step by Step Main Dishes, Westmoreland, S.: Editor, Hearst Books, New York:1997.