Recipes

Friday, November 25, 2011

Lassi

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Lassi is one of my favorite Indian dishes not just for its flavor but also for the ease of preparation. I used to serve this as a starter whenever I was hosting an Indian or Moroccan inspired dinner when I was still living in Atlanta. The availability of mango puree and even fresh mangoes back in Atlanta made this a regular favorite in my dinner parties. Unfortunately, it was a bit harder to find mangoes in Tennessee until my Indian friends told me where they go to buy Indian spices and products. Here in Montana, it is even harder but I was happy to know that one of the grocery stores here actually carry canned mangoes. Maybe not the best quality if you ask me but it is the next best thing. 

Lassi is made with yogurt and if I am correct, it is a breakfast dish in India. The favorite amongst my friends is the mango version although it also comes with a banana flavored version as well. A must however is a good blender that is strong enough to cut through ice as it is basically a smoothie but much healthier especially if you use low-fat yogurt. I prefer to serve mine a bit thick but still pourable enough that you can drink it without using a straw. So far, I have yet to meet anyone who did not like Lassi.

Mango Lassi - Adapted*

8 oz fresh mango or canned mango puree
1 cup ice
16 oz yogurt (you can use fat-free)
2 tbsp sugar

1. Mix all ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. 

2. Check for flavor and adjust by adding a tablespoon or two of sugar. 
    Also, add small amounts of cold water if the lassi is too thick to pour. 
    Serve in tall glasses like a champagne flute. 

Banana Lassi - Adapted*

3 ripe bananas
1 cup ice
16 oz yogurt (you can use fat-free)
2 tbsp sugar
pinch of cardamom

Follow the procedure as directed above. Serve right away. 

* Vijayakar, S., 30 Minute Indian, Laurel Glen Publishing, San Diego: 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment