|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Potato and Jalapeno Pierogi
2 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled
1 onion, finely diced
2 large jalapeno, deseeded and finely diced
3/4 cup unsalted butter
salt and pepper
1 recipe pate brisee
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped chives
1.Prepare the pati brisee as directed in Stephanie's blog. Let it rest at room
temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Cook the potatoes in a large pot with water at medium heat until a fork
pierces it right through. Drain and run through a ricer in a large bowl.
3. Melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the onions and
jalapeno and cook until softened. Add to the potatoes and mix well.
Check for flavor and season with salt and pepper. Cover with clingfilm and
4. Knead the dough a couple of times on a floured surface and divide it into
20 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 5-6 inch disc. Fill with 2-3 tbsp
of the potato filling and crimp the edges to seal.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and dump the pierogi in batches to
cook. Once it floats, spoon them out straight into a large saucepan to fry
in the remaining 1/4 cup butter and olive oil at medium heat. Fry them
on all sides until pale golden brown.
6. Once all the pierogi have been boiled and fried, transfer them to a large
serving platter and drizzle with the remaining olive oil and butter used to
fry them. Garnish with the chives.