Recipes

Monday, April 30, 2012

Philippine Mangoes

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
One thing that I missed being away from home was the abundance of mangoes during the summer months. One might say, it is just a fruit but we take pride in our mangoes and we consider them as one of a kind. For one, the texture of Philippine mangoes rival those of canned peaches in terms of smoothness. You basically bite into a smooth and succulent fruit which when fully ripe, is sinfully sweet. Thus, they are ideally suited for use in cakes and mousses. However, they are wonderful eaten just as they are be it sliced or peeled whole like you are eating a mango popsicle. I actually have to control myself since I could easily overindulge. Second, they are just delicious. Nothing more to say really. In the heat of the summer months, all you need is one slice of a cold mango fruit and it makes everything seem better. It is that delicious. 

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Being from Bacolod, we are partial to mangoes from the island of Guimaras which rival the mangoes from Cebu. I have yet to try one from Cebu but due to the proximity of Guimaras to where I live, the favored variety is from Guimaras. These same mangoes make their way into the White House and Buckingham Palace due to their sweetness. I have yet to establish a kitchen that will allow me to bake, much less cook so I'm hoping that I might be able to feature a mango mousse cake any time soon. For now, I leave you with a picture of what a slice of heaven might look like, in fruit form.

No comments:

Post a Comment