Recipes

Friday, November 16, 2012

Linguini al Limone (Linguini with Lemon)

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Another pasta dish that I decided to make was this simple pasta dish from Sophia Loren. I've made this dish before but I always thought it needed a little bit more sauce so that is what I did. The dish in itself is almost like pasta alfredo but the addition of lemon rind gives it a bit of a freshness which is quite unexpected. Also, A good drizzling of extra virgin olive oil makes the difference. It adds to the richness of the sauce without overpowering the citrus flavor of the lemon zest. I made this for breakfast and although my nephews loved it, I am sure they added more sauce to the dish when I left that day for work. Unlike me, they like their pasta dish swimming in sauce. I used dried linguini pasta instead of spaghetti which added more body to the whole dish. My nephews are growing boys so anything this heavy is actually something they prefer.

Linguini al Limone - Adapted*

2 lbs dried linguini
1/4 lb bacon, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
salt and pepper
Parmigiano cheese
zest of 3 lemons
olive oil

1. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. 

2. In a large saucepan, brown the bacon over medium low heat. Add the 
    butter and the garlic and cook until the garlic is slightly browned. 

3. Add the cream and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Keep 
    warm at low heat. 

4. Once the pasta has reached the al dente stage, toss into the warm sauce 
    and mix until combined. Remove from heat and add about a handful of 
    cheese.

5. Serve with a good drizzling of extra virgin olive oil.

* Loren, Sophia: Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories; GT Publishing, New York: 1998.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment