|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
My Mother's Favorite Beef Stew
3 lbs beef, 1-inch dice
1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
3 bay leaves
1 tsp oregano
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups small red onions, peeled
6-8 cups beef broth
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup green peas, frozen
1/4 cup green onions, sliced thinly
salt and pepper
1 cup flour, for dredging
1. Dredge the beef pieces in the flour. Tap off the excess. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Brown the beef in
batches and set aside.
3. In the same pot, brown the small red onions and set aside. Add more oil if
4. Saute the diced onions and garlic and cook until softened. Season with salt
and pepper. Add the bay leaves and oregano and cook for another minute.
Return the browned beef with the liquid and mix well.
5. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to low and
simmer covered until the beef is tender. This will take about an hour to
6. Add the potatoes, carrots and browned small onions and cook until the
vegetables are tender.
7. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Check for flavor and adjust
accordingly. Simmer for another ten minutes.
8. Add the peas and green onions and cook until bright green. Check for
flavor one last time and serve right away.