Recipes

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mango Fool

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Mango Fool was something that came to mind when I was trying to make Mango Pavlova. My initial attempt at a pavlova since I've been home has been a mitigating failure due in part to my uncontrolled oven temperature. I got a bit optimistic when I finally bought an oven thermometer which gave me some sort of control on the baking temperature of my oven. 

With a few ideas ringing in my head, I decided to go for both the Mango Pavlova and of course, Mango Fool. Mango Fool is a departure from a recipe of Nigella Lawson, the Rhubarb Fool prepared by caramelizing in-season rhubarb stalks with white sugar in the oven. I figured there has to be a Mango Fool version and I was right. There are actually quite a few version so I decided to make mine a bit simpler. For both desserts though, an essential love for something creamy is a must. Otherwise, there is no point in experimenting with both desserts. The Pavlova recipe is up next.

Mango Fool

4 ripe mangoes
2 tbsp Cognac
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream Base:
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Slice the mangoes and spoon out the flesh. Mash with the back of a fork. 
    Add the vanilla extract and Cognac and mix. Set aside in the fridge.

2. In a mixer bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Add in the 
    sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Add the vanilla and fold into the mixture. 

Assembly:

You can prepare this dessert as a layered treat or you can go rustic as well. If you are serving this for dinner with friends, I suggest the layered version but if it is a dinner for one or two, go for the simpler or rustic version and indulge shamelessly. It is however best to let the flavors meld so prepare about an hour or two before serving it.

To prepare the layered version, take a wine glass and alternate layers starting with the cream base and ending with the mango mixture. Garnish with more mango slices and a dollop of the cream base. 

To prepare the rustic version, fold in the mango mixture into the cream base and serve in large dollops in a deep bowl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment