|Copyright 2013LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Fagotinni di Pollo - Adapted*
2 lbs chicken thighs, deboned and skinned
1 large carrot, shredded
1 large onion, shredded
3 stalks celery, shredded
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 lb fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup white wine
3 cups water
1 1/2 lb bacon
salt and pepper
8 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil and saute the onions, carrots and celery. season with
salt and pepper. Continue to cook until softened. Once slightly browned,
remove the pestata from the heat and allow to cool.
2. In a deep pan, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and add the
garlic. Saute until fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes and season with salt
and pepper. Saute until softened. Add the white wine and the oregano and
cook until slightly browned. Add the water and the tomato paste and bring
to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered.
3. While the pestata is cooling and the sauce is simmering, prepare the
chicken by wrapping them in clingwrap and pounding them with a mallet
until flat. Set aside
4. To assemble, season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and then fill
with about a tablespoon of of the cooled pestata. Roll into a wrap and seal
the wrap with the bacon strips. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the chicken
bundles in batches until the bacon is golden and browned. Transfer the
fried bundles into the simmering tomato sauce and continue to cook until
the chicken is cooked through.
6. Adjust the sauce by adding water if a bit too thick and allow to thicken by
removing the cover if a bit runny. Check for flavor and adjust accordingly.
7. To serve, remove the toothpicks and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Lidia's Italy: Fagottini di Pollo