|Copyright 2013 LtDan'sKitchn blogs|
Risotto Alla Milanese - Adapted*
1 onion, diced
1/2 tsp safflower threads
2 cups Arborio rice (Japanese sushi rice makes an excellent substitute)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup white wine
marrow from one large bone (optional)
8-12 cups beef broth
1/2 cup Parmigiano cheese, grated
1. In a deep pan, melt the unsalted butter over low heat. Add the onions and
saute until softened.
2. Add the rice and mix well making sure the rice is coated with the butter.
3. Add the white wine and raise the heat to medium. Continue to stir until
the liquid is almost gone.
4. Add more broth by adding a cup or two in batches until the liquid is fully
absorbed by the rice.
5. Once the rice reaches the al dente stage, add the bone marrow if using
and mix well. Add one last cup of broth and cook until absorbed.
6. Add the cheese and mix well and spoon out into bowls. Serve with a good
drizzling of olive oil.
* Loren, Sophia, Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories, GT Publishing, 1998: New York.