Recipes

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Camaron Rebosado (Shrimp Tempura - Filipino Style)

Copyright 2011 LtDan's Kitchen blogs
My memory of this dish is a bit tragic and is tied up with my fond memory of my late Aunt Myrna. She was the sweetest person ever and sadly, she passed away way too early. I was still in 2nd or 3rd grade when she died from complications during childbirth and I never really knew how to process that information at that time. I was a child then. During one of the few times when I stayed at their rented house though, she cooked this dish that unbeknownst to me would become a favorite of mine later on. It was also the very same dish that sadly was the reason why I had a fight with my Mom during my last visit back in 2004. I asked her to buy shrimps with plans to make this dish but she cooked it immediately and rendered it unusable for this dish. I was cranky at that time and was so annoyed I left in a huff. She and I never ever fight so she did not know how to deal with the situation. I had to apologize to her later in the day and it was one of the most searing memory I have of her being really connected with me in my adult life. Ironic, isn't it?

Given the emotions tied to this dish, I better make sure that this comes out really well in honor of two ladies who held a special place in my heart. I was actually planning to fry tilapia and pair it with a mango salsa but things have a way of making plans for you sometimes and this ended up in my kitchen instead.

Camaron Rebosado - Shrimp Tempura - Filipino Style

1 1/2 lb large shrimps, tail on
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice

canola oil for frying

Batter:
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cup ice cold water
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

1.  In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the batter and mix well. If
     the batter is too thick, just add some water until it is thin enough to
     coats the shrimps. Set aside.

2. Slit the shrimp down the back to butterfly it without cutting through.
    Season with the salt and the lemon juice when about ready to coat with
    batter, otherwise, the lemon will cook the shrimp.

3. When ready to fry, dunk the shrimp into the batter holding on to the
    tail. Fry in the heated oil until golden brown. Drain the excess oil on
    paper towels and do the same for the remaining shrimps.

4. Keep the shrimps warm in a preheated oven at 200°F. Serve with sweet
    red chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment