Recipes

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Corn and Crab Soup

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This is my version of a soup usually served in Chinese restaurants back home. Mine is the easy version so no need to panic. It is very simple and it may not be the most authentic soup in the world but at least, it tastes really good with a wonderful homey feel. I made this soup the first time around when I needed a starter course for a simple dinner for friends and all I had in terms of canned vegetables was a couple of canned corn in my pantry. It came out quite well and I make this soup now whenever I get the chance.You can make this with real crab meat but since I'm allergic to them, I use the fake variety.

Corn and Crab Soup

2 14 oz cream of sweet corn, canned
1 14 oz corn kernels, canned
4 cups chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 lb fake crab meat
2-3 green onion stalks, sliced thinly
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup corn starch
sesame oil and roasted garlic for toppings

1. In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic 
    until golden brown. Add the green onions and saute for another minute.

2. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the corn and simmer for 15 
    minutes. Add the fake crab meat and simmer for another 5 minutes. 
    
3. In a small bowl, dissolve the corn starch with some of the broth. Return 
    the slurry into the pan and cook until the soup has thickened. Check for 
    flavor and correct with salt and pepper.

4. To serve, ladle a good amount of soup into a bowl and garnish with a 
    drizzling of sesame oil and a sprinkling of roasted garlic. An addition of 
    extra sliced green onions gives this soup a nice contrast in terms of color 
    and flavor.    

No comments:

Post a Comment