|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Mutter Paneer - Adapted*
4 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp ground mustard (1 tsp mustard seeds)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 dried red chili
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds( 4 cardamom pods)
2 tsp ginger, grated
1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp hot chili powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp ground coriander and cumin powder (dhanajeera)
2 tsp brown sugar
4 tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups paneer, cubed
14-15 oz frozen green peas
1/4 cup water
4 tbsp yogurt (4 tbsp creme fraiche)
salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and fry the cubed paneer
until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. On the same
pan, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, dried red chili, cloves and
cardamom seeds. Stir fry until fragrant.
2. Add the onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the ginger, diced
jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder,
dhanajeera, brown sugar, and ground mustard. Stir well.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Cover
and lower the temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Return the paneer and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the peas and simmer
until bright green. Check for flavor and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve hot garnished with cilantro leaves.
*Vijayakar, Sunil, 30 Minute Indian, Laurel Glen Publishing, San Diego: 2000.