|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Carribean Pork Casserole - Adapted*
2-3 lbs pork butt, cubed
3 tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large red or green bell pepper, large dice
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 16-oz can pineapple chunks, with the juice
3 cups broth
4 tbsp vegetable oil
4 green onions, cut in two-inch lengths
1. In a large pot, heat the oil at medium heat. Fry the sweet potatoes on all
sides without cooking them completely. Drain on paper towels and set
2. Fry the pork in the same pot until all sides are browned. Set aside.
3. Add the ginger and the thyme on the same pot and cook for two minutes.
Return the pork into the pot and mix well. Add the cinnamon, paprika,
and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Add the soy and Worcesteshire sauces and season with salt and pepper.
Add the broth and bring to a boil.
5. Cover the pot and lower the heat to medium low and simmer the pork for
6. Add the sweet potatoes and the pineapple juice and cook uncovered until
the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Add water if necessary. There
should be enough sauce to coat both the meat and the vegetables.
7. Add the peppers and pineapple chunks and cook until the peppers are
tender but still crisp. Check for flavor and add the green onions just
*Westmoreland, Susan: Editor, Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Main Dishes, Hearst Books, New York:1997.