Recipes

Friday, October 5, 2012

Italian Meatballs in Savory Tomato Sauce

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I made this dish over the weekend when I cooked dinner for me and my Dad. He eats mostly fish everyday so every time I come home, I will cook something for him that is meat-based while I cook something that is fish-based for me. I try to eat less meat when I'm not at home but sometimes, a meat dish is what is readily available so I just try to eat less of it. Since I barely have any time to cook an elaborate dish, I go for the simple ones and this is what I came up with. 

The recipe is based on one of my trusted cookbooks but I tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes and what was available in my fridge. There was no need to really go all out since my Dad prefers to eat very simple dishes. This is actually both a blessing and a curse for me. I could try and fix a very complex dish and he might find it a bit too unusual for his tastes. If I go the simple route, he might really enjoy it but I end up making dishes that hardly need a recipe and are not worth posting on the blog. This dish is I think a compromise and is both simple and yet, complex enough it warrants a recipe. Here then is a meatball dish that can be eaten as is with a baguette or over a cup of hot steamed rice. You take your pick. 

Italian Meatballs in Savory Tomato Sauce

1 1/2 lb ground pork
1 onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
4 tbsp olive oil
2 small carrots, diced
1 cup broth
1 tsp dried oregano
1 30 oz diced tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup frozen peas

1. To make the meatballs, combine the ground pork, diced onions, Herbs de 
    Provence, eggs and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper and 
    combine until just mixed. Form into one-inch balls and set aside. 

2. Heat a pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Fry the meatballs 
    in batches until just browned. Set aside. 

3. In the same pan, add the garlic and saute until softened. Add the diced 
    tomatoes  and the broth. Bring to a boil and add the oregano. Lower the 
    heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. 

4. Add the meatballs, tomato paste and the diced carrots and simmer for 
    another 15 minutes. If too thick, thin out with water.

5. Check for flavor and adjust accordingly. Add the peas and cook until 
    bright green. 

6. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment