|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
I was tasked to prepare the actual barbecue which is kind of ironic or maybe unfortunate since I am having gout issues again. Argh! Anyway, I was thinking of something very American to go with it so I thought, aside from apple pie, the one thing that was never absent from any good barbecue is potato salad. Not having access to my cookbooks, I thought of the basic ingredients that I might need and pickles and carrots came to mind. When it came time to actually put it all together, it turned out that pickles and diced carrots are not really common ingredients. Well, I decided they were staying anyways for the added crunch.
|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchens blog|
Potato Salad with an Asian Flair
2 1/2 lb small potatoes
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp lemon or calamondin juice
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 cup pickles, diced
salt and pepper
1 tsp dill seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 tsp mustard powder
1. Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water. Bring to a boil over
medium high heat and cook until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool.
2. In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream and calamondin juice and
stir. Allow to thicken.
3. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice into eighths and
transfer them to a large bowl.
4. Add the carrots, red onions, pickles, mayonnaise and thickened cream.
Add the mustard powder and dill seeds and mix well. Season with salt and
pepper and check for flavor.
5. Store in the fridge until ready to use. Stir one last time before serving.