Recipes

Friday, October 5, 2012

Pasta Oglionesca

Copyright LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This term might drive Italians crazy and might even come after me with pitchforks but the inspiration for this dish is a pasta dish that I shared with my friends over dinner during reunion night.We ordered a pasta dish named Aglio-Olio described as an olive oil and garlic pasta. It had a hint of heat which I assumed came from the red pepper flakes or as Lidia B would call it, peperoncino. I just thought it would make a wonderful Sunday dish so I gave it a try. I did make an adjustment by adding fresh tomatoes ala a puttanesca dish which funnily enough was my initial  choice had it not been for my friend suggesting the Aglio-Olio pasta instead. 

I made a small batch good enough for two or if you are really hungry, for one. All I had were some leftover shell pasta and a handful of red pepper flakes along with some really good olive oil. I had no cheese on hand but as it was, it was quite tasty. I finished the dish with dried basil leaves which gave the dish a wonderful aroma. It came out a bit spicy but it was not the first spicy dish I made so I quite enjoyed it. 

Pasta Oglionesca

1/4 lb shell pasta
4-6 garlic cloves, minced
3 small tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch of dried basil leaves
salt

1. Cook the pasta as per packet instruction. When the pasta is almost al 
    dente, heat half of the olive oil in a large pan and saute the garlic over 
    medium low heat until golden brown. 

2. Add the red pepper flakes and saute for another minute. Spoon the cooked
    pasta into the pan and mix well. Season with salt and check for flavor.

3. Turn off the heat and add the diced tomatoes. Mix well and sprinkle with 
    the dried basil leaves. Drizzle with the rest of the olive oil and serve. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment