Recipes

Monday, August 29, 2011

Baked Tilapia

Copyright 2011 LtDan'skitchen blogs
Grilling fish is a very common way to cook fish back home. My Mom would either buy fish at the market or buy it from street vendors who walk around the community selling fresh fish early in the morning. I used to hate grilled fish  but as I grew older, I came to realize that the flavors are actually more pronounced when the fish is cooked simply. With just a bit of salt on the fish, that was all that was needed to season a fresh fish. 

Living in the US, finding fish from the sea is quite difficult if not expensive. The most affordable for me is tilapia which is a pond fish grown back home in fisheries close to the beach. The kind they sell here are on the larger scale compared to what I was used to so the usual way we cook them back home is not the ideal way to go. However, I found that baking them in a pouch of foil enhances the flavor of the fish and is I think the best way to go about cooking this fish. 

Baked Tilapia

Tilipia, cleaned and scaled
tomatoes, diced
onion, diced
salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Slice the fish on a diagonal on both sides without cutting through. Set 
    aside. Prepare equal amounts of tomato and onion and stuff the cavity 
    of the fish. 

2. Season with salt and pepper and place seasoned fish on a sheet of foil. 
    Drizzle olive oil over the fish and seal. 

3. Bake at 350°F for an hour. Serve while still in the foil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment