Recipes

Monday, August 22, 2011

Caesar Salad

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
As the saying goes, "when somebody gives you lemons, make lemonade". But, when somebody gives you organic lettuce, I say you make Caesar Salad. This is probably one of my favorite salads but since the dressing is basically egg yolks emulsified with olive oil, I make this only on special occasions. The last time I made my own Caesar Salad dressing was back in 2004 when I was at home on vacation and we had guests staying with us. Back then, I followed a recipe that used coddled eggs (cooked in boiling water for two minutes to partially cook it). For a much smaller batch of salad though, I decided to go a bit more authentic but I had to modify the recipe and approximate the amounts. I also did away with the anchovies which cuts down the salt factor quite a bit. Overall, this recipe will be enough to dress about 4 cups of lettuce leaves and will serve two.

Caesar Salad

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
2 egg yolks
1/8 tsp grated garlic
1/4 tsp Worcestershire   sauce
salt and pepper
olive oil 
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 cups lettuce leaves,   shredded
1/4 cup chopped pecans or   walnuts
2 tbsp shredded Pecorino   Romano cheese plus   more for garnishing

1. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and lemon 
   juice. With a whisk, drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture thickens.  
   This might need 2 tbsp of olive oil or a little bit more. 

2. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and whisk one last time. 

3. Drizzle dressing over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the chopped 
    nuts and more cheese. Serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment