Recipes

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rosa Parks and Peanut Butter

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I was browsing through the news yesterday and there was a feature on Rosa Parks' pancake recipe that intrigued me. As part of the auction of her estate, a recipe of her Featherlite Pancakes came into light written on the back of an envelope in her handwriting. I've checked if another person as crazy as me have tested her recipe and there were quite a number of hits. So, far from being the first, I'm still giving it a go just because a recipe as historic as this is always worth trying out. Her secret ingredient is something quite unusual, peanut butter.

*Rosa Parks' Featherlite Pancakes - Adapted

1 cup flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp oil

1. In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the 
    wet ingredients.

2. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well 
    with a whisk.

3. Cook in a greased griddle or non-stick pan over low heat.

The verdict: the pancake is very fluffy and light but the the flavor is just okay. It was a simple recipe and the resulting pancake was simple and very unassuming. Will I make it again? Probably. The recipe makes about 5-6 pancakes which is good if you are making this for two to three people. 

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
And speaking of peanut butter, I made a promise to show you all how the peanut butter cookies would turn out with regular peanut butter so I figured now's a good time as any. Made with the local grocery brand peanut butter, I made a small batch just for the blog and a couple for me to snack on. 

* Rosa Parks as featured on the Gothamist

No comments:

Post a Comment