Recipes

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chicken with Olives and Sunflower Seeds

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I thought I already posted this dish some time ago. I know I cooked this dish already but it must have been when I made it and it was gone before I was able to take a picture. The dish seemed familiar but after looking at all my posts, it did turn out that I have not featured this recipe yet. Adapted from Lidia Bastianich's recipe of Pollo con Olives e Pignoli, I made some slight changes not because I don't trust her recipe but because I could not find a good fresh parsley to use in the dish. I ended up using fresh basil. It was also impossible to find pine nuts so I used roasted sunflower seeds instead. 

Chicken with Olives and Sunflower Seeds - Adapted*

4 lbs chicken pieces
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup black olives
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
basil leaves
white truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling

1. Heat the butter and the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. 

2. Season the chicken with salt and fry on both sides until golden brown. Fry 
    them in batches. 

3. Make room in the center and add the bay leaves and garlic. Cook until the 
    garlic is lightly browned. 

4. Add the broth and increase the heat to medium high. Cover the pan to 
    steam-cook the chicken. Cook for about 15 minutes. 

5. Lower the heat to medium low and add the olives. Cover and cook for 
    another 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked 
    through. 

6. Check the sauce for flavor and adjust with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 
    the truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil and garnish with fresh basil leaves. 
    Serve with rice pilaf. 

* Lidia's Italy: Pollo con Olives e Pignoli

No comments:

Post a Comment