Recipes

Saturday, May 26, 2012

I Can't Believe It's Not Real Tiramisu! (Cream Cheese Tiramisu)

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
My cousin and nephew along with my uncle and aunt came over the house today. I had something planned for my blog but since they were in town this Saturday, I decided to move up the date of my cooking experiment a day ahead and invited them over for lunch. I had planned a very Italian Sunday lunch so I went ahead with this plan hoping they will appreciate something different from what they usually have at home which is almost just like what we eat daily:fish, fish and more fish. However, I just don't have the time to make dessert on such short notice so a no-bake tiramisu seems to be the best choice for such an occasion. Also, being in the Philippines, mascarpone cheese is a rarity and finding one might be possible but the price tag on such a find will most likely be astronomical there is no point at all in splurging to make this dessert. It might be worth it but if you plan to eat tiramisu on a regular basis, a more affordable alternative might be the way to go.

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
I also went for the store-bought ladyfingers (Broas in our dialect) from the local bakery that has been our family's go-to bakery for our family parties. They are a bit pricey but their products are really wonderful and the quality have not gone down unlike most of the stores I used to frequent before I left for the US. I tried making ladyfingers the last time I had to make a dessert but my temperamental oven coupled with my new handheld mixer which turns hot after 5 minutes of use is giving me some issue with regards to real baking. Any hardcore baking will have to wait until I get my new kitchen in about a couple of months.  

Cream Cheese Tiramisu

1 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 8 oz heavy cream, chilled
13 tbsp white sugar
8 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/4 cup brandy
48 ladyfingers
2 oz dark chocolate
cocoa powder

1. In a large metal bowl, combine the white sugar with the egg yolks and beat
    at high speed on top of a double broiler. Keep the liquid at a low simmer. 
    Beat at high speed until the volume has tripled. Take off the heat and set 
    aside.

2. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with clean beaters until stiff peaks 
    form. Fold into the egg yolk mixture. 

3. In a third bowl, combine the cream cheese and the heavy cream and beat 
    until smooth. Fold into the egg mixture. 

4. In a 9x13 baking dish, ladle in a cup of the cream cheese mixture and 
    spread evenly. Arrange a tight layer of ladyfingers filling in the gaps with 
    little pieces. 

5. Combine the coffee with the brandy and spoon half the amount over the 
    ladyfingers. Pour half the cream cheese mixture over the ladyfingers and 
    spread evenly. 

6. Dust lightly with the cocoa powder and arrange a second layer of 
    ladyfingers. Soak with the reamaining coffee/brandy mixture and top with
    the remaining cream cheese mixture. 

7. Cover with clingfilm and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours. To serve, 
    grate the chocolate on top and dust with the cocoa powder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment