Recipes

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tiramisu Meltdown

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Today is Mother's Day and it passed me by without my even noticing it. I've been feeling kind of overwhelmed about the things that I needed to do with regards to getting the house cleaned from top to bottom and trying to get the paperwork done for me to start on a job very soon. I thought about baking a cake but half of my round pans are still at my friend's house without any idea as to when I'll get them back. I've been meaning to try my hand at baking my signature chocolate cake to see if the humidity fails me again just like when I tried making ladyfingers from scratch. I do have to get it right since I have to bake a cake next weekend for my friend's birthday.

Anyway, a shortcut would have been the best route to take and that is what I did. I wanted to stop by my favorite cake store in town but it seemed to have moved somewhere else or maybe I was looking at the wrong place. I ended up purchasing a cake from the chain bakeshop Red Ribbon instead. My nephew was suggesting a Black Forest cake but the disappointment of tasting this same cake when I was in Manila still lingered in my taste buds so I went for a new cake. I wanted to try something new hoping that I will not be too disappointed somehow. 

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Making a choice between the Ube (Purple Yam) cake and Tiramisu Meltdown, Tiramisu Meltdown won just by sheer spunk (for lack of a better term) for its name. Not really getting my hopes up, I was expecting at least a reasonable chocolate cake with some kind of mousse layer in the middle and topped off by a ganache with pieces of chocolate ribbons. After the first bite, I have to admit, it was quite good. I don't know about the tiramisu part because it definitely lacked the flavor of a traditional tiramisu. Still, the cake is moist and the flavors do balance each other out. In a word, adequate. I won't mind having a taste of it again. The next time I visit their shop though, I might go for the Ube Cake with my fingers crossed that this cake have at least kept its integrity. That however still remains to be seen. 

To all Moms, Happy Mother's Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment