Recipes

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Bean Sprouts Stir Fry

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
One of my favorite side dish is stir fried bean sprouts especially when I'm eating "Anything" Teriyaki. I did not make teriyaki this weekend but I had bean sprouts so I decided to make this dish for dinner. I will have to find the time to make teriyaki but for now, I'll concentrate on the dish that pairs well with it. 

I first tasted this dish when I was a college student living in a boarding house in Manila sharing a room with four other guys. We used to request that this dish with beef or chicken teriyaki be served for dinner and it became my favorite until I realized that the secret ingredient to teriyaki and this dish is the sesame oil. That is what made all the difference. My love for this dish was relived when I went into graduate school at Michigan and we frequented this little Japanese restaurant where they serve teriyaki dishes with stir fried bean sprouts. It was only after a few tries that I was finally satisfied with my simplified version of this healthy dish. 

Bean Sprouts Stir Fry

1/2 lb bean sprouts
2 stalks green onions
toasted sesame seeds
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
1 tbsp oyster sauce

1. Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a stir fry pan. Add the 
    garlic and cook until golden brown. 

2. Add the sprouts and season with the oyster sauce and mix well just 
    to coat and heated through. Check for flavor and adjust with salt 
    and pepper.

3. If it gets a bit watery, take the sprouts out of the pan and cook the 
    sauce until it thickens. Drizzle over the sprouts and top with the 
    sesame oil, roasted sesame seeds and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment