Recipes

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Egg Custard Pie

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
A childhood favorite, I've been trying for some time now to find the right time to make it. I used to buy it by the slice or more accurately, I used to have my Mom buy it for me. It was definitely a special treat for me and yet looking back, it was really just an ordinary pie. It does show how those times were a lot simpler and how simple things meant so much more which is why I'm quite nostalgic when I make this pie. What is funny and coincidental is that one of my favorite British comedy shows, As Time Goes By, talks about custard tarts all the time which is mini-version of the egg pie. It was Lionel's (one of the main characters) favorite snack which makes me love his character even more, not that there is any reason not to love them. I'm not making the tart version though, of which, I yet have to find a good recipe. Instead, I'm making the regular-sized pie in a 9-inch pie pan.

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
My version is really a combination of my milk flan and a basic pie crust recipe. I'm using the same custard mix when I make my flan with the addition of nutmeg and the pie is baked until the filling is just set. This is to ensure that the custard is not overcooked. Also, once cooled, the custard does firm up and sets beautifully so you have to be patient before cutting into your egg pie. If you don't have a pie crust on hand, grab those frozen pre-made ones and make sure that you thaw them before filling them with the custard mix. I usually prick my pie crust with fork prior to filling but not this time. The custard filling is fairly wet so I don't want them leaking out of the crust prior to baking. As I've said before, I'm not too proud to admit that I do enjoy the convenience of store-bought pie crusts every now and then.

Egg Custard Pie

6 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Basic Pie Crust:

2 1/2 cup flour
1 cup unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 cup ice water

1. In a bowl, add the flour, salt and sugar and mix well at low speed with
    the paddle attachment of your mixer.

2.  Add the butter and at low speed, mix until coarse crumbs are formed.
     Switch the paddle attachment with the dough hook and at low speed,
     drizzle in the water until the dough comes together.

3. Take the dough and divide in two and wrap each half with clingfilm and
    let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. If not using right away, you
    can freeze the dough at this point.

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
4. Once the dough has
    rested, unwrap it and
    on a floured surface,
    roll the dough into a
    10-inch circle using a
    floured rolling pin.
    Once you've achieved
    the right size, drape
    the dough loosely on
    the pin and transfer
    onto a 9-inch pie plate.
    Work the dough into the
    pan and tuck the edges
    under. Flute the edges
    using your fingers. Allow the dough to chill in the fridge for another
    10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

5.  Combine all the filling ingredients and when ready to fill the pie, pour the
     filling onto the prepared crust by passing it through a sieve.

6. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes on the lowest rack of your oven. Lower the
    oven temperature to 325°F and bake for another 35 minutes or until
    almost set. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

Keep an eye on the pie after baking it on step 6. If still very watery, bake for another 10 minutes but check regularly to ensure that it does not bubble which can happen as it did with mine. When it starts to puff or starts to show signs of puffing, pull it out of the oven right away since the residual heat will cook it to the right consistency.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment