Recipes

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pecan Pie II

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
After my first attempt of making pecan pie, I've finally come to terms that it was not very good. Okay, but not very good. It was when I was looking for something to bake this weekend that I came across  a recipe of pecan pie that I decided I better give it another go. This time however, I plan to go simple and not overthink the recipe which was probably why my last recipe did now work as well. For this version, I'm using a basic pie crust recipe and a simple filling recipe which I hope will impress when put together.

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
The pie crust is derived from the Joy of Baking website and is the other half of the crust I used to make the Egg Custard Pie. For this pie however, I pricked the pie crust with the fork tines to ensure even baking. Another trick I used was to bake the pie in the lowest part of the oven. It saves you time from pre-baking the crust which is really a time saver.The filling components are fairly common for most filling recipes I've seen for this pie so they were what I decided to use. I did take the time to melt the sugar and the corn syrup with the butter as this tends to give the filling more density once baked.

Pecan Pie II

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
1 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp whiskey
3 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1 9-inch pie crust

1. Toast the pecans over
    low heat in a large
    skillet until aromatic.
    Make sure you do not burn the nuts. Set aside and cool.

2. In a small sauce pot, melt the butter with the sugar and corn syrup over
    medium heat. Once boiling, add the whiskey and vanilla. Whisk until well
    mixed. Let cool until just warm. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

3. Add the eggs and salt into the filling mixture and whisk until smooth.
    Pour most of the filling into the prepared pie crust. Add the reserved
    pecans into the remaining filling mix and combine until the nuts are
    coated evenly.

4. Using a fork or your fingers, arrange the pecans in a concentric pattern
    over the pie filling. Drizzle the remaining pie filling over the nuts.

5. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes on the lowest part of the oven. Make
    sure that the pie plate is on top of a baking sheet to prevent overheating.
    Let cool completely. Chill in the fridge to make it easier to cut into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment