|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
1 lb potato, peeled and diced
1 lb Great Northern beans, canned
1 cup Arborio rice, cooked
1 stalk celery, diced finely
2 bay leaves
1 large onion, diced
1/4 lb bacon, diced
6 cups broth
salt and pepper
grated Parmesan cheese
Basil leaves chiffonade
1. In a large pot over medium heat, render the fat from the bacon. Once
golden brown, add the onions and celery and season with salt and pepper.
Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the bay leaves and saute until aromatic. Add the broth and bring to a
boil. Add the potatoes and lower the heat to low. Cook until the potatoes
are tender but not overcooked.
3. When ready to serve, add the drained canned beans and the rice and
simmer for about 5 minutes. Check for flavor and season with salt and
4. To serve, ladle a good amount of soup into soup plates and drizzle with
olive oil and garnish with the grated cheese and a handful of basil leaves
* Loren, S., Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories, GT Publishing, New York: 1998.