Recipes

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pancakes for Breakfast

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
As they all say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets you started and it helps keep you balanced (in a digestive way). Anyway, breakfast growing up consisted of rice and any leftovers from last night's dinner. Or it could be with an omelet, fried fish (yes, fried fish), or some cured meats my Mom made over the weekend. We were never big on bacon, hotdogs (yes, we fry them back home too), or any cold cuts that yet again, we fry to a crisp. My favorite breakfast and one that I craved for so many years though was the Jollibee (our local version of McDonald's) breakfast meal of sausages, fried eggs and fried rice. It was really good and greasy and oh so delicious. I've been home infrequently but when I do get the chance, I feast on this breakfast item.

Copyright 2011 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Back here in the US, I still do the usual rice with leftovers but there is simply no time to cook in the morning so a yogurt cup is a good alternative or a slice of bread with jam and cheese. Once in a blue moon, I would make buttermilk pancakes or banana cake/bread and I'll have a ready to go breakfast on hand for me to enjoy the rest of the week. Here then is a home-made buttermilk pancake recipe which I found on the allrecipes.com website. Unfortunately, the banana cake recipe is a family recipe (not my family but I was entrusted to keep it so in a way, my family too ) so I don't have permission to post it on my blog. Alternative recipes are found in the JoyofBaking blog. 

*Buttermilk Pancakes - Adapted 

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil
 

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk. Let it
    rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Preheat a skillet over
    medium heat.

2. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto the griddle. Flip pancakes when  

    edges appear set, about 2-3 minutes.

3. Cook pancakes on the other side for same amount of time until  

    golden brown. Do the same for the remaining batter.

4. Serve immediately and top with a dot of butter, a drizzling of your  

    favorite syrup and if you so desire, a grating of soft cheese. Fresh  
    fruits on the side is also a good accompaniment. 

*Allrecipes.com - Buttermilk Pancake I

No comments:

Post a Comment