|Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs|
Beef Nilaga (Beef in Broth)
2-3 lb beef rib tips
1 onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
3 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
1 head of cabbage, quartered and cored
1 large bok choy, cut into 3-inch lengths (optional)
1 1/2 lb baby potatoes, peeled
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
4-5 cups beef broth
2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and
onions and saute until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the bay leaves and cook for another minute. Add the beef and
brown slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Add the peppercorns and
3. Bring to a boil and decrease the heat to low and simmer covered until
tender. Check for flavor and adjust with the fish sauce, if using, or salt.
You can also add more water or broth if you want the dish to be soupy.
I prefer mine with less broth.
4. Pour most of the broth into another pot and at medium heat, cook the
potatoes until tender. Keep the meat on a simmer at low heat.
5. Once the potatoes are tender, spoon them out and add to the beef. Cook
the cabbage, green beans and bok choy, if using, in the broth until tender
yet crispy. Return the vegetables with the broth to the pot with the beef
and potatoes and bring to a boil once more.
6. Check for flavor and adjust accordingly and serve hot with steamed rice.