Recipes

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Spicy Pork Patties

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
Meatballs were my staple food of choice while I was living in Michigan as a graduate student. They were sold in large 10-pound bags at the frozen section and each bag contains enough meatballs to last you for weeks. It was only later when I realized that making meatballs are really not that big a deal. I also realized that I can make a tastier meatball from scratch especially when I am making spaghetti with meatballs and Italian sausages.

Copyright 2012 LtDan'sKitchen blogs
This recipe is derived from my Indian cookbook which is quite a surprise for me. I never knew that there are actually quite a variety of meat dishes in the Indian cuisine. It was a revelation to me since most of my Indian friends are vegetarians and some are even vegans. Finding a meat recipe in the Indian cuisine was like hitting the culinary jackpot which was quite helpful when I'm having an Indian-themed dinner. This recipe uses red chilies which give the meatballs a bit of heat. Originally shaped as patties, I made meatballs instead.  A hot curry paste is also used to flavor the dish but you can use regular curry paste if you are worried about the spiciness of the dish.  A good way to balance the heat is to eat this with yogurt.

Spicy Pork Patties - Adapted*

1 lb ground pork
1 small onion, diced
1 red chili, deseeded and diced
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
3 tsp hot curry paste
3 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Canola oil for frying

1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper
    and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes in the fridge covered with clingfilm.

2. Divide the meat mixture into 12 portions and flatten out into patties. You
    can also shape them into 1-inch round meatballs.  

3. Heat the oil in a frying pan at medium heat. Fry the patties or meatballs
    until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.

*Vijayakar, Sunil: 30 Minute Indian, Laurel Glen Publishing, San Diego: 2000. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment